Candida albicans is a yeast that lives in small numbers on our skin, in our digestive tract, and vagina. Our immune system and beneficial bacteria in our body prevent the yeast from overgrowing. If those are killed by antibiotics or our immune system is weakened, Candida can take control over our body and cause candidiasis.
Normally Candida aids with digestion and nutrient absorption, but when the yeast starts to overgrow in your intestines, it can break through the intestine’s wall and enter the bloodstream were it releases toxins. This is the most severe candida infection and difficult to remove or treat.
Symptoms Of A Candida Infection
Candidiasis can affect our skin, mouth, throat, genital area, intestines, and blood. Symptoms depend on the area that is affected
- Skin and nail issues such as chronic fungal infection, athlete’s foot, eczema, rashes, and psoriasis
- Sore throat and difficulties with swallowing
- White spots on the tongue or inside the mouth
- Chronic fatigue and lack of energy
- Bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Mood swings, feelings of depression or anxiety, quickly irritated
- Vaginal infections, vaginal itchiness, and urinary tract infections – if you suffer from vaginal yeast infection, check this article for natural treatments.
- Painful intercourse
- Constant sugar or bread cravings
How To Prevent Candida Overgrowth
- Healthy well-balanced diet, low in sugars and carbohydrates.
- Eat yogurt regularly to balance your gut bacteria.
- Avoid scented soaps, tampons, lotions, feminine hygiene sprays, etc., they may disrupt your natural balance which can lead to candida overgrowth.
- Avoid antibiotics, birth control pills, and steroids. But don’t stop taking any medication before you discussed this with your doctor first.
- Avoid stress as much as possible as it weakens your immune system. Try mediation, yoga, or simple breathing exercises.
- Keep yourself dry and clean. Candida thrives in a moist environment.
- Wear cotton instead of synthetic underwear.
- Avoid baths, hot tubs, or whirlpools.
Natural Remedies To Cure Candida Overgrowth
There are many creams and pills available on the market, all treating the symptoms but they neglect the underlying reason of an infection. Often changing your diet and restoring the balance of good bacteria and strengthening your immune system will be enough to fight the infection.
Watch your diet
Candida mainly uses carbs and sugars as an energy fuel. If you avoid those during an infection, candida will be unable to grow and reproduce.
Eat plenty of healthy fats such as cod liver, fish oil, extra virgin coconut or olive oil. Avoid all carbohydrates and sugars. Even fruits, carrots, and beets should be avoided during an infection. Drink plenty of filtered water, herbal teas, and barley grass to flush out toxins produced by candida.
High quality probiotics restore the balance of good bacteria, which keep candida under control. This is super important after an antibiotic treatment as they kill all good bacteria as well. Find here 9 reasons to take probiotics and why it’s so good for you.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
ACV helps to inhibit candida growth by helping to rebalance your body pH. Use raw ACV that hasn’t been filtered or pasteurized. Take it internally by adding 2 to 3 teaspoons of ACV to a glass of water and take 2 to 3 times per day until symptoms improve. If you have a skin yeast infection, you can also add a cup of ACV to a warm bath and bathe for about 20 minutes. Find here more how ACV can revolutionize your health.
Caprylic Acid Supplement Or Pure Coconut Oil
Caprylic acid comes from coconut oil and shows great results in treating yeast infections. It makes tiny holes in the cell wall, causing the yeast to die. The great thing about caprylic acid is that it only targets yeast and doesn’t kill good gut bacteria. Take up to 4 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil a day or opt for caprylic acid supplements. Find here more about the many health benefits of coconut oil.
Oil Of Oregano
Oil of oregano can be very effective in treating a yeast infection, but unfortunately good bacteria will be killed as well. So make sure to combine an oregano oil treatment with probiotics. You’ll only need a few drops of the oil in a glass of water, use too much and it can cause irritation of the digestive tract.
Raw Garlic Or Garlic Capsules
Garlic is well known for its anti-fungal properties. It is best to eat it raw, but if the taste is too much for you, you could try garlic capsules. Find here more information on how to use garlic as a medicine. If you love garlic and are interested in herbal remedies, you can find more useful information about garlic and other herbs in the e-book Herbal Remedies Guide. This guide will teach you how to treat common ailments using herbs.
Colloidal silver targets the enzymes responsible to provide the yeast of oxygen. Without oxygen, candida is unable to grow, reproduce, and will die from starvation.
Montmorillonite or Bentonite Clay
Those types of clay are very effective in absorbing and eliminating candida out of your digestive tract, when used internally. For instructions on how to consume it have a look at my article how to use clay for body detox.
Candida infections shouldn’t be left untreated. Once they start growing out of control they may penetrate your intestine’s wall and enter your blood stream. Contact you doctor if the conditions get worse or don’t go away.
This is a guest post written by Amy Goodrich, yogi, health coach, and dedicated blogger who loves living a natural, eco-friendly, and healthy lifestyle. Visit her website http://www.body-in-balance.org and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bodyinbalance.org